Scripture From Scratch is a two day online course which develops participants understanding of the Bible.
Day 1 – Old Testament – 7th July
The course will introduce participants to the writings of the Old Testament in order to help them to recognise God’s revelation contained there and its continuing relevance in Christian life today.
- How the Church looks at the Old Testament today, particularly in the light of Vatican II, the Catechism of the Catholic Church and other recent documents.
- Introduction to the formation of the Hebrew Scriptures in terms of the historical, geographical, cultural, political and religious background.
Day 2 – New Testament – 13th July
This course is an accessible way in to the riches of the New Testament. We will consider its historical, cultural and political background, and explore how the New Testament as we have it today took shape in the first centuries of the Church’s life. We will look at the different kinds of literature it contains. The course will include input, and time for reflection and discussion.
- Introduction to the historical, geographical, cultural, political and religious background to the New Testament.
- The centrality of the Paschal Mystery.
- The formation of the New Testament.
Leading and teaching us will be Brian Purfield who has been a member of the Mount Street Jesuit Team since it began in 2004. He organises and leads courses in Adult Faith Formation. His particular interest is in deepening an awareness and love of the Scriptures. He has also given retreats and courses throughout the UK and Ireland, North America, the Far East and Australia. He studied theology at the Gregorian University, Rome and at St. Bonaventure’s University, New York.
Brian wrote – “Opening up the Scriptures to people, young and old, at a level that they can understand and seek to apply to their daily lives, is something I feel passionate about for it is one way we can encounter the God who loves us into being and seeks a deeper relationship with us.”
The timings for both days are –
Session 1: 9.00am – 10.30am
Session 2: 11.00am – 12.30pm
Session 3: 2.00pm – 3.30pm